≡ Menu

How to Become an Insurance Agent

Have you thought about becoming an insurance agent? This can be very lucrative. Are you a pleasant person and have an outgoing personality? Then this may be the career for you. In general, you’ll need to keep up with new information coming out in the insurance industry and have excellent math skills. Does this sound like something you could do?


You’ll need to determine what insurance field you’re interested in. You’ll need to consider areas such as liability, life, health, property, car etc. See which one interests you the most. Also see what area doesn’t have enough insurance agents. If an area needs more agents, then your job prospects increase. Also know that this type of career requires some for of licensure so keep that in mind.


You’ll need to have a high school diploma or GED and have passed a college entrance exam (SAT/ACT). You’ll need this to apply to enter a university or college of your choice. Many colleges have programs for becoming an insurance agent and these courses are often available online. If you’re currently working and can’t afford to stop, online courses are a good way to go. Your study can be done at home on the computer saving you a lot of time because you won’t have to commute.


You have some leeway in terms of the coursework you will take depending on the university you decide to go to. You’ll need to get a bachelor’s degree in business or economics. Coursework should include business and public speaking, accounting, math, finance and economics at the very least. You’ll need to become proficient with computer software that is used by the insurance industry so if you’ll not comfortable with computers at this time, you’ll need to work on that.


While you’re working on your bachelor’s degree, it is a good idea to work part-time for an insurance agency in the area you are interested in. Early training is of the essence. Your college program director can help you with this. If there are any insurance agencies in your area that have training programs, your director can help you apply.


Once you have finished your bachelor’s degree in business or economics, you’ll need to take the state licensing exam to get your license. Sometimes this can be done after an insurance agency hires you. Talk with insurance agencies you’re interested in and find out their requirements. Also find out what your state requires in terms of schooling and training. You can take classes for the state exam and it is a good idea that you do so. These classes are available in pre-licensing schools of insurance agents associations as well as in some insurance companies.

As with many careers today, you’ll need to take continuing education classes to keep up on the insurance industry. Most states require these courses and you must prove that you have taken them. Check with your state and find out what it requires.


If you take extra continuing coursework and continue taking exams through the years and have built up a lot of experience it is possible for you to become a Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter. This is a well respected title.

Leigh Connelly

Leigh Connelly

Leigh Has been online publishing since 2001. His interest included self development, new technology’s and travel.
Leigh Connelly

Latest posts by Leigh Connelly (see all)

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment